I’ve previously outlined my reasons for evaluating Rust and Deno. Using these technologies, I am looking to achieve:
- A scriptable high-level layer (Deno REPL) controlling a performant lower-level core (Rust).
- A single executable binary via Deno Compile.
- Cross platform executables via cross-compilation support for Deno and Rust.
- Agnostic support for running as an OS process or in a browser runtime via Deno’s web platform APIs and the ability to compile Rust to WASM.
- Simple project scaffolding via Deno’s stated goal to “provide built-in tooling to improve developer experience”.
I wanted to see if these could all be achieved using free SaaS tooling for continuous integration including:
- code analysis
- automated dependency updates
- automated unit testing and integration/acceptance testing
- automated semantic releases
- automatically generated API documentation
I created the template projects and GitHub workflow and actions discussed here to see if the technologies could deliver on their promises and thus achieve my aims.